Saturday 12 July 2014

Our house: Week one. (seven days in).

Let's start in the laundry, shall we? I didn't bother tidying up for these photos, since they're just a record of how things looked seven days after we moved. A morale booster of sorts. A reminder of how far we've come.


Oh hey laundry. Note I've been trying out snazzy new handles. Brushed stainless steel looks so much better than cheap plastic. Top cupboard holds assorted cleaning stuff, rags and empty glass jars. Bottom white cupboard holds tinned food and other stuff. Why? Because..... I shoved stuff in there because they had to go somewhere and it kinda works. Above the washing machine you can see some wood on the wall- thinking of putting some hooks up there, and a floating shelf below.


Two bottles of bbq sauce on our bench and m and I don't even like bbq sauce. Seems an apt metaphor for the post move chaos. The kitchen seems so much better with lots of plants in it. More cool and bohemian, and less old.


Fixing the leak. As we removed the dishwasher my mother in law was all "is that a pile of dust or a dead mouse?" 
It was two dead mice.

Yeah. Our drawers aren't quite flush. Also, our tap handles keep falling off. We're weirdly not too bothered about it yet.

Some fabric hanging off the valence, since something about those colours- mint greens, bits of yellow, soft whites, the little pink bodies of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie- seemed to really suit the kitchen.


I spent a morning peeling that brown laminate off the shelves. I may have also sat there repeatedly going THIS IS SO GROSS SO SLIMEY AND STICKY. Brown contact stuff gone, a good scrub and lined with some butchers paper- massive improvement. So much brighter and airier. With the doors removed, I can actually access this corner cupboard a LOT easier, so we've left the doors off. Father in law kept giving me serious side eye- to him, it must seem odd that I want a half complete kitchen. But it's more practical this way. 


We've got roach bait all over the house. In some places we decided to double up. Just... airing the space out.


Not very inspiring, is it? my lamp is on the kitchen to provide extra light while people are under the sink. 


We mounted the tv on the wall. By we, I meant that m and his parents did. I went down the far end of the house and listened to them snipe at each other. Not gonna lie- we've all done our fair amount of sniping. Moving is stressful. Putting holes in your walls is stressful. Blaming other people is hugely therapeutic. It seemed really symbolic that we had the winter solstice on the 21st June, just over a week after we moved in. The solstice mark's a turning point- from then on, the days will let longer, and summer is coming. We had this horrible stressy move with lots of other stuff going on... and we pulled through, and touch wood, we are unlikely to have such a stressful time again.


Yeah. I have a lace curtain folded up in my window. It felt too long at full length. I like it shorter, I might cut it up later. I normally like my windows full length, but I think they will be better off a bit shorter on this window.


Wall by front door. M really likes that wallpaper sample that I put up. He thinks with down lights it will look really modern and smart.


Looking from our master bedroom down the hall. We tried a couple of book cases down here- our brown was too dark for that corner, the cube white was too bulky. It's still no where near enough book case for all our books. Yet to figure that one out. 


Painting Willow's wardrobe. You know that help dodgy wardrobe from my last post? Still yet to put that blind up.


I've been sleeping on her floor, hence the extra bedding. We also lacked a wardrobe for her and yeah. Her room looked pretty shocking for a while. 

The rest of our bathroom. M mother got us that bar heater on day 2. It stayed like this- a functional mess- for ages.


Master bedroom. 


Other side of master bedroom.


The spare room. Our, our local dumping ground. 


More spare room. It's... a later job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...